IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Looking good! The glitching you see at the bottom of the screen on some games is actually present on composite as well, it’s where the display list isn’t completely terminated by the game and Maria just renders rubbish. I could add an option to blank this, but currently it’s there for authenticity.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Here is my video on the 7800 Game Drive.   I try to cover this as best as possible.   Enjoy!

Thanks for the video. Looking forward to another update on your Block Em/Sock Em collaboration with @darryl1970 👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

I love it. I spent the afternoon with my 6 button genesis controller, mega7800, 7800GD, and E.X.O. cheating shamelessly and effortlessly with the 7800GD. What a wonderful device!

Wouldn't it be cool if stone age gamer sold those things? 

Edited by KrunchyTC
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

Actually if I am not mistaken I think I was reading somewhere on Atariage that someone picked it up from Stone Age Gamer at the classic console and arcade gaming show this past Saturday.

Yes. It was posted in the 7800GD support forum. Some of us are a little peeved that we've been teased with a product page on the SAG website for literally months now and the first batch were evidently sold instead at a show. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

Actually if I am not mistaken I think I was reading somewhere on Atariage that someone picked it up from Stone Age Gamer at the classic console and arcade gaming show this past Saturday.

Which is great if you live in Ohio, which I don't. Screw SAG.

Edited by KrunchyTC
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

Didn't know they and the cart was going to be there, I'm only a few hours away.  Oh well - I had to wait almost 2 years for the Jag GD, I'll have one of these in just a few months.

Yeah same here I'm like and hour and fifty minutes away.   I was aware of the show too but chose not to attend.   But like you said, I'll get one eventually so I'm not too peeved.   I'm used to waiting for the cool things people get at shows early lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yes. It was posted in the 7800GD support forum. Some of us are a little peeved that we've been teased with a product page on the SAG website for literally months now and the first batch were evidently sold instead at a show. 

Did Stone Age actually do this? I've signed up for email alerts on every account I have and I would DEFINITELY count myself among the peeved if they just sold them all at a show instead of putting them up in their store.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

Did Stone Age actually do this? I've signed up for email alerts on every account I have and I would DEFINITELY count myself among the peeved if they just sold them all at a show instead of putting them up in their store.

Well, we know they had them for sale at a show last Saturday because someone posted in the 7800GD Support forum that they bought one there. We do not know if they sold all of the units they got. We do know it’s been several days since then and the web storefront still shows “OUT OF STOCK.” If they have more to sell, it would be nice to know one way or another. 

EDIT: I literally just got an email that very limited quantities will be available later today. Good luck to all! 

• Like 3

Just now, DrVenkman said:

Well, we know they had them for sale at a show last Saturday because someone posted in the 7800GD Support forum that they bought one there. We do not know if they sold all of the units they got. We do know it’s been several days since then and the web storefront still shows “OUT OF STOCK.” If they have more to sell, it would be nice to know one way or another. 

It would be incredibly shady of them to sell out their entire stock after (as was stated) teasing us with a product page for months. I've been direct messaging them trying to find out when they'd go on sale. I've been direct messaging RetroHQ and he was the one who said AtariAge would have stock -- which hasn't gone live on their storefront either. And yes, I've been messaging Al about getting one too...

2 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

It would be incredibly shady of them to sell out their entire stock after (as was stated) teasing us with a product page for months. I've been direct messaging them trying to find out when they'd go on sale. I've been direct messaging RetroHQ and he was the one who said AtariAge would have stock -- which hasn't gone live on their storefront either. And yes, I've been messaging Al about getting one too...

Nothing shady about it. He has said multiple times that he is purposely starting out with a small run of these to shake out any remaining glitches before doing a larger run of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Nothing shady about it. He has said multiple times that he is purposely starting out with a small run of these to shake out any remaining glitches before doing a larger run of them.

I'm not talking about RetroHQ. I'm talking about Stone Age. And some of us don't care about the glitches anyway. I even offered to beta test the Game Drive since I own both a stock 7800 and an AV modded unit. I would have happily paid for an untested one direct from the manufacturer to help shake out the bugs. **SHRUG**

7 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

I didn't think this was aimed at me, but if so, eh? The idea of a product page is to announce what is coming, it's quite a normal thing to do, otherwise you wouldn't know about forthcoming products.

The reason for selling out immediately is, well, that's what happens with a new product with a small run. I expect to sell out immediately until retailer demand is satisfied. This is normal. I am a manufacturer, I sell to retailers. When I "sell out" that means I've sold my initial stock. The UK and EU retailers "sold out" very rapidly because it's a small run, and the UK and EU retailers got a smaller share of stock. The US retailers have yet to start selling anything online, it's nothing to do with me, I'm a manufacturer. I work with the retailers in many ways, but I do not dictate when or what they should sell.

AtariAge also have stock. Al also has a hell of a lot on with other things, so these will go on sale when he has the time to sort out the product page and open orders.

Quite honestly stating any of this is "shady" is utterly bizarre. Do you think it's somehow in my interest to limit stock? If I were unscrupulous I would simply make several thousand, sell them all as quick as I could and run. But instead I am very careful and make smaller initial batches until I am happy there are no issues which are going to impact the customer. At the end of the day I stand by my reputation for producing solid and reliable bits of hardware, not rushing things to market to please those who think they're somehow missing out.

You may be completely oblivious to the fact the 7800 is a highly modded console, and a lot of these mods are somewhat questionable. I am currently evaluating all issues people have with the 7800GD and their AV mods and seeing what I can do to make the 7800GD work better with (in my opinion) badly or incorrectly modded consoles.

If anything was "shady" exactly the opposite of what is currently happening would in fact be happening.

Just be patient, as with everything I produce they will continue to be produced until demand ceases to exist.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

I'm not talking about RetroHQ. I'm talking about Stone Age. And some of us don't care about the glitches anyway. I even offered to beta test the Game Drive since I own both a stock 7800 and an AV modded unit. I would have happily paid for an untested one direct from the manufacturer to help shake out the bugs. **SHRUG**

The point here is, I *do* care about glitches.

The 7800GD has been tested by quite a few people on a lot of varying consoles. Until a cart is out in the wild you will only ever see a tiny subset of the possible hardware issues which are going to happen.

I *have* to have a slow start to be able to find out what these problems are and deal with them if necessary. There is absolutely nothing "shady" or weird going on, it's just supply and demand. I realise demand is high, but I am not going to risk my reputation of producing high quality hardware by rushing to try and meet demand.

I'm not going anywhere.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SainT said:

The point here is, I *do* care about glitches.

The 7800GD has been tested by quite a few people on a lot of varying consoles. Until a cart is out in the wild you will only ever see a tiny subset of the possible hardware issues which are going to happen.

I *have* to have a slow start to be able to find out what these problems are and deal with them if necessary. There is absolutely nothing "shady" or weird going on, it's just supply and demand. I realise demand is high, but I am not going to risk my reputation of producing high quality hardware by rushing to try and meet demand.

I'm not going anywhere.

First and before anything else, I commend you on the quality of your products here, as I have done elsewhere -- such as that cursed social media platform run by a goober obsessed with the letter X. Your Game Drives have made things possible on classic systems I own that otherwise can't be done. Between Game Drive and EverDrive products, retro enthusiasts have a true bonanza of products.

I must reiterate you are not "shady" nor do I want to be quoted or misquoted as saying so. What I find shady is promising people that if they sign up for email notifications about stock, they'll get the first chance at the stock that's available, only to find out the person who had the stock sold the entire allotment to people at a convention instead of putting them up in the storefront as promised.

Frankly I don't think it helps matters when cool people like The Immortal John Hancock put up videos showing off their Game Drive when the rest of us can't buy one for love or money. Nothing wrong with John either. He's a great guy. I'm happy he's an AtariAge lifer like I am and happily subscribe to his channel and like all of his content. It's that undeniable feeling though when you watch people showing off their Game Drive that important people with big subscriber counts get to play with something the rest of us want to play with but don't get to pay for. I know you care about quality. I commend you for that. Personally I'd roll the dice and not complain once just for the opportunity to try the thing myself.

• Like 2