IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2022 (Season 15)

carlsson

arcade:

Sorcer Striker - 62 mins

Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons - 43 mins

V-V - 24 mins

Strikers 1945 II - 47 mins

C64:

Zeta Wing - 17 mins

Beamrider - 12 mins

Soul Force - 8 mins

R-Type - 5 mins

The Great Giana Sisters - 11 mins

Rogue 64 - 21 mins

Gateway to Apshai - 7 mins

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 41, running from October 10 - 16. We logged 3946 minutes of eligible play, playing 77 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Vandal-Hearts (PlayStation) - 493 min.
2. Slap Fight (Arcade) - 437 min. (#5)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 265 min. (#8)
4. Donkey Kong (Intellivision) - 237 min.
5. Gex (PlayStation) - 221 min.
6. Fangman (CoCo 1 & 2) - 170 min.
7. F-1 ROC II: Race of Champions (SNES) - 120 min.
7. Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (Sega Saturn) - 120 min.
9. Defender 2000 (Atari Jaguar) - 115 min.
10. PGA Golf (Intellivision) - 105 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 265 min. (PN#2)
2. Donkey Kong (Intellivision) - 237 min.
3. Fangman (CoCo 1 & 2) - 170 min.
4. PGA Golf (Intellivision) - 105 min. (PN#5)
5. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 102 min. (PN#4)
6. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600) - 97 min.
7. Raft Rider (Atari 2600) - 82 min.
8. Ghost Rush Halloween Edition (Dragon 32) - 40 min.
9. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 31 min. (PN#7)
10. Outhouse (TRS-80 Model I/III) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Arcade - 877 min. (#2)
2. PlayStation - 714 min. (#1)
3. Atari 2600 - 606 min. (#4)
4. Intellivision - 351 min. (#6)
5. Sega Saturn - 216 min. (#8)
6. CoCo 1 & 2 - 190 min.
7. Atari Jaguar - 155 min.
8. NES/Famicom - 143 min. (#9)
9. Commodore 64 - 128 min.
10. SNES - 120 min.

Konami's isometric, turn based game Vandal Hearts, last seen in the tracker in 2011, is now back and by a margin of almost an hour is ahead of Slap Fight. As overall #3 and pre-NES #1, Solar Fox is back though only ~30 minutes ahead of the infamous Donkey Kong port for the Intellivision. No less than 20 games on various arcade systems puts it as a group into first place on the systems list, compared to only two PlayStation games and seven Atari 2600 games.

No changes to the 1000, 5000, 10000 Minute Clubs. In total we're now up to 184,729 minutes and 1847 games this season. The total number of entries is 11092 so about 1/6 of all games ever recorded have been played this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Stupidly busy at work this past week, so not much time to do much else, but still managed to get some time with various games, including finding an unreleased game in the arcade about 12 hours ago.

Dreamcast
Sakura Taisen - 139

Replay done. Sumire ending this time. Not sure if I want to go directly to 2 or get the other 4 endings in this game.

Arcade
Batsugun Special Ver. - 15

Yes, it's here; I found this unreleased game in Taito Hey today. This game had a location test in 1994 shortly before Toaplan's bankruptcy but was never actually released, most likely because of said bankruptcy. Although boards for this exist and the location test ROM chips have been located, this is an extremely rare game. I'd love to get to try some of Toaplan's other unreleased games like Dynamic Trial 7 and Genkai Chousen Distopia.

Pic_1023_158.thumb.jpg.f4b80709ad4c369de20a739ab192bd5b.jpg

Dogyuun!! - 15
FixEight ~Jigoku no Eiyuu Densetsu~ - 5

Here it is, Toaplan's most obscure shooting game. Or maybe Vimana is more obscure. I don't know, but you probably don't know that either of these games exist. If you do, you are probably completely obsessed with Toaplan just like me! FixEight is vaguely like Out Zone but with almost sickeningly bright pastel colors and orchestral music for some reason. What a weird game! I kind of like it, though. As of now, the only Toaplan shooting game that I have not both played on the real PCB and entered in the tracker this year is actually their very first one, Tiger-Heli, but it is extremely likely that I'll get to that one too before the end of the year. Oops, I forgot about Hellfire and Zero Wing. Still have not played those on PCB yet, just on MiSTer. Soon, though...
Slap Fight - 208
Soukyuugurentai - 15

Yes, the ST-V version of Soukyuugurentai is here! This version is bugged, though, so play the Saturn version, as that's the best version. Really awesome to see this supremely badass game running in an arcade! Play it (on Saturn)!
V-V - 15
Zero Wing - 75

Saturn
Tokimeki Memorial ~forever with you~ - 30

I guess the Saturn version of TokiMemo is the best version. It reminds me very much of the much later LovePlus, also by Konami, as a lot of the menus and gameplay and stuff are extremely similar, but in this case I feel like I have no idea what I am doing whatsoever, so I think I should read the manual or something before I play the game any more.

G/MD
Slap Fight MD - 37

This port is super easy after playing the much harder arcade version for like 20 hours or however long it's been now. Still a lot of fun and it still has the alternate game Slap Fight MD to play, and that alone is worth having this game for.
Zero Wing - 79

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 6

Atari 8-bit:
Canyon Climber - 91 min.

VIC-20:
Bandits - 23 min.

The A8 HSC round ends tomorrow, Monday. Despite its simplicity - or perhaps due to it - I found some playability in Canyon Climber, and it became my most played game in a single week since the Tail of Beta Lyrae back in early April. Over at Twitter, popular VIC-20 games were mentioned including Bandits, which I commented was NTSC only. It turns out it was patched to run on PAL together with a bunch of other games in 2015, but I had not observed this before. However I played on NTSC for simplicity. Actually something like 98% of all classic VIC-20 games are region independent, only a few 3rd party titles synchronize with the raster beam to the point that separate NTSC and PAL versions were required. A few like Imagic apparently released both, while Sirius didn't. Perhaps they didn't have any representatives in Europe selling their games anyway?

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (October 17th through 23rd) on classic systems:

Atari 2600:
FallPit! - 9 min.
Jungle Adventure - 9 min.
Ms. Pac-Man - 15 min. in 2 sessions

Commodore 64:
Q*bert - 74 min. in 3 sessions

Nintendo Entertainment System:
Super Pitfall - 4 min.

My general theme this week was games similar to Pitfall!. To that end, I replayed FallPit! for the Atari 2600 and also "Jungle Adventure", which is anothe homebrew in Batari Basic from a while back. You can find it here:
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/210526-jungle-adventure-was-my-next-project-pitfall-type-game-dpc/

Then I also played a bit of Super Pitfall for the NES, which there is also a never version (a hack) of.

On Q*Bert for the Commodore 64, I got much farther than last time, but there was a bug setting in which let enemies appear lower on screen than they were actually supposed to be, but the collision detection still accounted for their correct position, which was confusing and led to many deaths. Then I got a version without that bug, and on it, I got to Level 8 or 9 in a game of over 40 minutes. I also replayed Ms. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600, but didn't get very far in it.

• Like 6

Arcade (via MiSTer)

Beastie Feastie - 75 min

Big Kong - 10 min

Lunar Rescue - 25 minutes

Q*Bert - 10 min

CoCo2

Ghost Rush (Halloween Edition) - 30 min

CoCo3

Ghost Rush (Halloween Edition) - 45 min

Commodore Amiga 500

Centerfold Squares - 20 min

Torch 2081 - 25 min

X-It - 40 min

Commodore VIC-20

Bertie the Ball - 5 min

BolderDan - 75 min

Cheese and Onion - 15 min

Fastboy - 1 min

H.E.R.O. - 50 Min

Nibbler - 65 min

Pentagorat - 5 min

RodMan - 15 min

ViccyBird - 5 min

Dragon32

Ghost Rush (Halloween Edition) - 140 min

TRS-80 Model I

Donut Dilemma - 35 minutes

• Like 6

Arcade:

World Rally Championship (Gaelco) - 55 minutes

4C9A771C-B12D-450D-BE50-881F13679D5C.thumb.jpeg.153dad0c05f5ebc3f2ebcf4f6d91ba69.jpeg

Week 2 of the Evercade Discord racing championship.

Nintendo Entertainment System:

Dig Dug - 15 minutes

Nintendo Game & Watch:

Donkey Kong Jr - 35 minutes

9D1D3D66-C69E-4D8E-83FE-F394285F8B41.thumb.jpeg.9fb87f1473d7b8f1be452a8d0d0806e9.jpeg

Pinball - 45 minutes

10795E7D-7F23-4836-BE07-C7381DD40183.thumb.jpeg.da5ab9ffa884776b4bc1d1436436cc38.jpeg

LCD/VFD/etc:

It was a week for a lot of pinball.

Entex Space Invader - 25 minutes

214BF72F-4A6E-4161-BC85-2130EC47ED08.jpeg

Parker Bros Wildfire Pinball - 65 minutes

50CE0FB0-4BAE-49E0-B9D9-1C4582E557F9.thumb.jpeg.b2a7be4d59a1f8afe4eb4c2fc8180819.jpeg

Sears Cosmic Pinball (aka Tandy/Tiger Rocket Pinball) - 30 minutes

8F1097CD-E28D-4EFF-9362-2D01FC484B99.thumb.jpeg.bf46e12c1bf3e15f299f182ce1c1485f.jpeg

Tiger Sonic Spinball - 30 minutes

BAB7129C-E2FF-4232-A111-ABB55079D373.thumb.jpeg.53bc21482b9044c5173476175ca35797.jpeg

Tiger Stix Meeba - 10 minutes

Tiger Stix Plugger - 10 minutes

Tiger Stix Wheelz - 15 minutes

B3B19114-F361-4C1B-A149-B8339DDAD679.thumb.jpeg.0bdfa166f96b40c4359ec8a413ce35aa.jpeg

Sega Genesis:

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 35 minutes

Loaded the old save, tried to beat the last boss, failed repeatedly.

• Like 5

This week I played:

Courier Crisis for Playstation - 62 minutes

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee for Playstation - 283 minutes

Pokemon Gold Version for Game Boy Color - 389 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog for Game Gear - 49 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Game Gear - 64 minutes

Star Fox 64 for Nintendo 64 - 83 minutes

Vandal-Hearts for Playstation - 1,032 minutes

Progress:

Courier Crisis - made it to difficulty level 7

Oddworld - completed with the good ending from start to finish

Pokemon Gold - made it to Goldenrod City

Sonic 1 GG - completed with all emeralds

Sonic 2 GG - completed with all emeralds

Star Fox 64 - completed the "best" (red path) levels and got the best ending.

Vandal-Hearts - completed the last 2 levels of chapter 2 thru the end of the game. I missed an item so I didn't continue doing the optional levels. The Vandalier class for Ash is overpowered anyway so I didn't mind playing it without that this time.

• Like 6

Amiga 

Sensible World of Soccer 2020 530 

DOS 

Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 270 

Intellivision 
Donkey Kong 112

I kept playing my career in the Amiga version of SWOS, and I finally won the World Cup.  Woof - It was a slog.  Lots of quitting matches and reloading old saves.  I was satisfied with losing and was planning to accept defeat, but I couldn't see the difference between the uniforms of my team (England) and Argentina.  Both of them were too white and it totally ruined the round of 16 game, so I simulated it and won.  Then I had to beat . . . Italy which was tough, but I got them after a few tries.   I then played Brazil in the semi-final. I played them 2 or 3 times and lost every time, so I accepted it and went on to the 3rd place match where the computer pulled out a bunch of stupid impossible sh!+ that I couldn't accept.  I decided to reload and my last save had me face Brazil again, who I beat.  Then I faced Urugay in the final who I was able to beat in 2 tries.  I also played the DOS version just as a manager for a while so I could see some of the animations that are unique to that version.

I'm definitely on the last stretch of my time with SWOS.  I have wanted to play this legendary game for a long time, and it has been fun to see the different versions and participate in the still active community that enjoys this game.  I'm grateful to be able to connect with the many players who had this game be such a memorable part of their gaming lives.  However, I can't say that I am really all that much of a fan myself.  I've enjoyed it, and I appreciate what it meant to the history of Football/Soccer video games, but the actual gameplay leaves A LOT to be desired.  Principally the single button control is just not enough for a game like this.  Performing advanced lobs and headers is too hard to be fun.  I'd also say that the lack of difficulty levels is very discouraging for new players.  It is tough to score in this game, and when you do score, it is very often a cookie cutter of your last goal.  I'd say most players who play this are probably used to scoring a variation of the same 4 goals over and over again.  Meanwhile, the computer is a virtuoso at set pieces and touch passes to the goal mouth - everything that would make the game fun to play, but a "normal" human cannot do.  You just have to sit there and watch the computer shove it up your a$$.  There's also no sense of building offensive pressure.  Every possession is a frantic race to pass the ball before you lose control, or the computer steals it away.  Planning more than two passes ahead is pretty much impossible, or at least it takes a lot more practice than the time I've put into the game.

I went back and figured out exactly how much practice I've had.  I've spent 5741 minutes (about 4 entire days) playing 5 versions of SWOS in the last few weeks.  I ended up playing the Amiga version released in 2020 the most simply because I got the deepest into a single career on that version.  If I were to start again, I'd probably focus on the PC version of SWOS 2020 which offers more conveniences and options.  As it stands, I may try to actually finish my longest career (they are capped at 20 years).  Now that I've won the World Cup, the biggest trophy is the Champions League.  I'll have to get fired as the coach of England and work my way up to a club that can accomplish such a feat.  I'm not sure I've got it in me.  I guess that makes it kinda like a real career.

Posted about SWOS over on Lemon Amiga too:  My Experience with Sensible World of Soccer as a New Player in 2022 - Lemon Amiga

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Pac-Man 8k - 10 minutes

Would that be the DINTAR816 game, the Nukey Shay game or one of the others? Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 really is a source of confusion with 11 entries, most of them distinctive.

Pac-Man (the original game)

Pac-Man (DINTAR816 8K version)

Pac-Man 2 [Ms. Pac-Man hack]

Pac-Man 4 [Pac-Man hack w/ other sounds]

Pac-Man 4K

Pac-Man 4K with intermissions

Pac-Man 8K [Nukey Shay]

Pac-Man Arcade

Pac-Man in Space [Pac-Man hack, SPK Soft]

Pac-Man Plus

PacMan_RK_Hack

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, onlyinajeep said:

Does anyone use a timekeeping app on their phones to keep track of times? I've just been using a notepad type app, watching a clock and adding things manually. An app would be cool, type in a task, hit a button to keep time...report at end of week.

I actually am almost always recording video of my gaming so I get the exact times unless one of my recordings crashes. In that rare case I estimate. If If I'm playing elsewhere then I write my start time in my phone notes, then write my end time.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 5

Odyssey 2

Cosmic Conflict - 3 min

Atari 2600

Star Voyager - 2 min

Atari 7800

Rampart (proto) - 1 min

Game Gear

Fatal Fury Special - 2 min

Arcade

Galaga - 25 min

Fairchild Channel F

Alien Invasion - 1 min

Bowling - 5 min

Master System

Columns - 65 min

The Jungle Book - 2 min

Sonic the Hedgehog - 53 min

SG-1000/SC-3000

Pacar - 72 min

Sinbad Mystery - 10 min

Star Force - 4 min

Mega Drive/Genesis

Battle Squadron - 2 min

Biohazard Battle - 11 min

Death Duel - 6 min

Dynamite Headdy - 3 min

Sub Terrainia - 5 min

Zool - 3 min

Famicom/NES

Arkanoid - 15 min

City Connection (Cruisin' in the US iirc) - 30 min

Devil World - 6 min

Don Do Ko - 8 min

Mappy - 13 min

Over Horizon - 2 min

Pooyan - 4 min

I spend a lot of time flipping through romsets this week. There is simply too many games in existence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, onlyinajeep said:

Does anyone use a timekeeping app on their phones to keep track of times? I've just been using a notepad type app, watching a clock and adding things manually. An app would be cool, type in a task, hit a button to keep time...report at end of week.

It's come up before.  I use OneNote - nothing complicated.  Haven't ever found anything that I like better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, randomcat2000 said:

Odyssey 2

Cosmic Conflict - 3 min

Atari 2600

Star Voyager - 2 min

Atari 7800

Rampart (proto) - 1 min

Game Gear

Fatal Fury Special - 2 min

Arcade

Galaga - 25 min

Fairchild Channel F

Alien Invasion - 1 min

Bowling - 5 min

Master System

Columns - 65 min

The Jungle Book - 2 min

Sonic the Hedgehog - 53 min

SG-1000/SC-3000

Pacar - 72 min

Sinbad Mystery - 10 min

Star Force - 4 min

Mega Drive/Genesis

Battle Squadron - 2 min

Biohazard Battle - 11 min

Death Duel - 6 min

Dynamite Headdy - 3 min

Sub Terrainia - 5 min

Zool - 3 min

Famicom/NES

Arkanoid - 15 min

City Connection (Cruisin' in the US iirc) - 30 min

Devil World - 6 min

Don Do Ko - 8 min

Mappy - 13 min

Over Horizon - 2 min

Pooyan - 4 min

I spend a lot of time flipping through romsets this week. There is simply too many games in existence.

Man, you hit a large number of my all time favorite games there!

Is "Don Do Ko" Don Doko Don?

• Like 3