IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

4 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Pretty slick stuff! 

Did the music sound better in person? Seemed rather rough on YouTube. I did like the selections.

Thanks SpiceWare. I’ve been following your developments for years. I remember trying  out and being impressed by your RPG demo back in the day. Great fun to try develop these sort of things.

The music sounds better in person. There was a strange stretching/tearing effect i noticed on the stream. Also, the need for talking over the sound made it difficult to hear at times. I made some line in recordings on my console, you can be the judge. It’s possible to play them straight from the forum link below.

5 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

My original DPC+ ARM demo in 2010 displayed a 3D cube that you could rotate and zoom in on in real time

Wow, awesome! I don’t recall seeing this. It’s amazing to see it move. I am new to 3d rendering, thankfully the github community had this problem sorted. Hope to optimise the drawing routines further. 

5 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

The RPG graphics were slick, blew my RPG graphics out of the water - mine levels were edited as raw data, something like that Tile Editor would have helped a lot

Thank you. And yes, I lost my patience with hex editing and couldn’t bear any longer to hex edit. It took a long time to get Tiled working properly, so glad I did it now.

Many thanks for reviewing my material. I’m starstruck by a giant of the scene today!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

Thanks SpiceWare. I’ve been following your developments for years. I remember trying  out and being impressed by your RPG demo back in the day. Great fun to try develop these sort of things.

You're welcome! It is a lot of fun.

The music sounds better in person. There was a strange stretching/tearing effect i noticed on the stream. Also, the need for talking over the sound made it difficult to hear at times. I made some line in recordings on my console, you can be the judge. It’s possible to play them straight from the forum link below.

Oh yeah, those do sound much better!  YouTube's recompression could also have been a factor.

Wow, awesome! I don’t recall seeing this. It’s amazing to see it move. I am new to 3d rendering, thankfully the github community had this problem sorted. Hope to optimise the drawing routines further. 

One of my college classes in the late 80s/early 90s covered 3D rendering.  Main project was to write an interactive program, where you could create a 3D model by entering points & lines then rotate it in real time, using Motif for the GUI interface. It was significantly slower at rotating than the Harmony!

DPC+ ARM did take a long to get picked up by anybody else, so that demo was long gone from the front page of the 2600 programming forum by the time you and Zach joined AtariAge. It took me finishing a couple projects (Space Rocks and Stay Frosty 2) for John to get interested in it, which lead to my DPC+ ARM series in 2015. That one's in my blog so is hard to locate because the Categories* went away with a prior forum upgrade.  That series starts here and ends with Part 12, Gamepad Support with a number of non-related blog entries intermixed.

And yes, I lost my patience with hex editing and couldn’t bear any longer to hex edit. It took a long time to get Tiled working properly, so glad I did it now.

I did use constants, this screen:

image.thumb.png.247e21a127d28607b0031843ecb339ef.png

is mapped out like this:

image.thumb.png.f71360e32cd7edaa102868960eea25a4.png

it helps, but is hard to visualize and only works for a small number of different tiles. As seen by the E for storE, I ended up using +1, +2... for objects that spanned multiple tiles; though that messes up alignment, making visualizing even more difficult. For Store it wasn't to bad as it was on the right edge, but other large objects were further left on their screens.

* Majority of my blog entries were tagged with the original category feature, which made it easy to find specific things like the DPC+ ARM tutorial. Some entries were even tagged with multiple categories. With the latest forum upgrade the blogs have regained the Category feature, but the historical category tagging info is long gone. I've retagged some of them, but if you're not careful the original posting date gets lost and the blog entry is then treated as if it were brand new with today's date. It's also now limited to just 1 category per blog entry.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, SpiceWare said:

The 2600/7800 Octopusher was impressive, never thought it'd be possible to work around the missing pins for 7800 mode.

Neither did I for most of the time I spent developing it.🤣

On 11/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, SpiceWare said:

The automatic NTSC/PAL/SECAM detection in Draconian came about because of a suggestion from @ZackAttack back in 2015.

I'm flattered that you still remember this 7 years later.

@ZeroPage Homebrew it was a pleasure being a guest on your show. I'm really glad that you and Tanya enjoyed playing Octopusher. It really motivates me to get a demo posted and eventually a cart release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:27 AM, SpiceWare said:

DPC+ ARM did take a long to get picked up by anybody else, so that demo was long gone from the front page

Thanks for the links. It's great to still get to these blog entries. Thanks for the pioneering effort on making ARM acceleration happen all those years ago.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:27 AM, SpiceWare said:

I did use constants, this screen:

I see, you made an alphabet for tiles, helps remember it and make it easier to "see" what you're doing while editing.

I used this awful HEX list to make my 2021 RPG demo. Each line is 32 tiles and the tile map is inverted vertically. Every 8 lines there was another map for items/npcs.

image.thumb.png.07c2115f45e3d6a893fd561c1300506c.png

Output:

image.thumb.png.2795ed4927de36136e1e6b9154e1bc25.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Vectrex Homebrew Games on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• Vectorblade (2020 Retail | Vectrex) by Malban
  • Vector Pilot (2011 Retail | Vectrex) by Kristof Tuts @Kristof Tuts
  • Release (2017 Retail | Vectrex) by Malban
  • Vector Patrol (2018 Retail | Vectrex) by Kristof Tuts @Kristof Tuts
  • SpideX (2019 Retail | Vectrex) by Alexander von Knorring @phoboz

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 6

On 12/13/2022 at 1:34 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Vectrex Homebrew Games on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

I was really impressed at how well the image came across on the stream.

I really liked Vectorblade, plan to order a copy early next year after I recover from Xmas and property taxes.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I have no Vectrex, but I have one Vectrex game. ;)  Got it because I provided a little help.

James doesn't have it too, its Thrust from Ville Krumlinde.

Very nice, not surprising that you had some input on a game called Thrust! 😃 Looks like it's available from Packrat's website, I'll have to check out some videos on the game.

38 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I was really impressed at how well the image came across on the stream.

I really liked Vectorblade, plan to order a copy early next year after I recover from Xmas and property taxes.  

Looking at the recordings I'm very happy with how it looked at sounded as well! It was very encouraging seeing how many people were enthusiastic about the stream and I'll definitely be doing another one in the future to play some more fun Vectrex games.

Vectorblade is amazing and playing it last night was incredibly fun. It's a very full featured shooter with a ton of replayability! I could have kept on playing it all night!

- James

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Looking at the recordings I'm very happy with how it looked at sounded as well! It was very encouraging seeing how many people were enthusiastic about the stream and I'll definitely be doing another one in the future to play some more fun Vectrex games.

Thank you for putting together last nights Vectrex show. Although I don't own a Vectrex, it was a blast and I look forward to the next one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

498114417_MuddyVisionLogo.thumb.png.d27154e0df8c1223a0ea6c4e785d1b39.png

EXCLUSIVE SECRET WORLD PREMIERE

ZeroPage Homebrew has the Exclusive Secret World Premiere of Lewis Hill / @Muddyfunster's newest Atari 7800 game on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch! We also be interviewing Lewis Hill about his new mystery Atari 7800 game, so make sure you tune in to find out what the game is! Bernie will be waiting...

Games:
After Dark:

Bernie.png.a9162025367c25c0993ebf9a1e65fdc0.png

• Like 5

On 12/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Thank you for putting together last nights Vectrex show. Although I don't own a Vectrex, it was a blast and I look forward to the next one. 

You're so welcome! I've been waiting a long time to have a Vectrex special on the stream but I wanted to make sure it was done right so it looked and sounded as best as it could on the stream. I learned a lot about the technicalities of capturing video from the Vectrex and I'm looking forward to the next one some time in the future!

On 12/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I just found the time to watch the stream to the end. It was really a lot of fun to watch. Vectrex is sooo different to anything else. And James went great lengths to present it that good. Thanks! (and for that card too!)

Thank you so much! It was a LOT of of fun for us to finally play the Vectrex on the stream and we were really surprised at the great response! We will definitely be playing it again in the future. I'll be buying some more accessories to make the viewing and playing experience even better the next time we pull the system off the shelf.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:41 PM, Nathan Strum said:

I need to dig my Vectrex out of storage. And install a de-buzz kit. And get a new controller for it.

The Buzz Off Kit is a must for anybody that doesn't have nostalgia for that loud humming noise. It's REALLY easy to install for those comfortable with a soldering iron. Just be VERY CAREFUL to read all the safety information about working with a POTENTIALLY DEADLY CRT. I was very careful and it still freaked me out the whole time working on it.

- James

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 1:34 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Games:

• Vectorblade (2020 Retail | Vectrex) by Malban
  • Vector Pilot (2011 Retail | Vectrex) by Kristof Tuts @Kristof Tuts
  • Release (2017 Retail | Vectrex) by Malban
  • Vector Patrol (2018 Retail | Vectrex) by Kristof Tuts @Kristof Tuts
  • SpideX (2019 Retail | Vectrex) by Alexander von Knorring @phoboz

I blame you James…I blame you.😉

702ADFCE-06E5-4D68-B108-DB642AA3C4DF.jpeg

7CCA799F-F850-4C2D-A3A7-55548A03246B.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sorry everyone, I'm going to call it. My upload speed is still ZERO after having the modem offline for 30 minutes.

The show is rescheduled for tomorrow at noon (PT)! 🙂

No worries. Sorry about your Internet issues, but I'm glad to hear that it's not something like a power outage, after all.

16 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sorry everyone, I'm going to call it. My upload speed is still ZERO after having the modem offline for 30 minutes.

The show is rescheduled for tomorrow at noon (PT)! 🙂

- James

2056229798_terriblespeeds.thumb.jpg.79763ef3e224621751404879cbe6a8c6.jpg

(btw this image took many minutes to upload)

That's crazy. I've never had an outage like that before!

..Al