IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

16 hours ago, karri said:

Mixing drinks was a nice twist yesterday. I enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for being in the chat and helping us out with the drink mixes in the game!

We thought that making some real life drinks would be a fun addition to playing the game last night and it definitely was. 🙂 Thanks again for making a fun and very unique game!

- James

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is being Interviewed LIVE about ZPH on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

• ZPH Interview with James and Tanya O'Brien by Giovanna
  • Bloxudoku (2022 WIP) by Ola Lisboa  @Lisboa2k6
  • Sweep Shot (2022 WIP) by Mike Losh @Sohl
  • Razor's Edge (2022 Retail | 2600 Full | Playthrough Attempt) by Red Button Games / Leonardo Santiago  @Leonardo Santiago (Design, Development, Graphics, Music, Sound Effects, Gameplay, Illustrations, Text, Final Art) / Claudia Maria (Illustrations)

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

Bummer, for some reason I thought this was going to be on Friday :(

Taking a break from my new toy (directly below y'all) to watch it on Twitch

Oh no! Sorry you missed it live, but glad you were able to watch it after the fact. Hopefully some of the questions you had might have had were answered. 🙂

Very nice shiny new toy you have there!

- James

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

DEVELOPER SPOTLIGHT AND LIVE INTERVIEW WITH
ANDREW DAVIE

We're honoured to have @Andrew Davie on TONIGHT'S ZeroPage Homebrew stream for his developer spotlight! We will have a LIVE discussion with Andrew Davie about his extensive career as a game developer from the 1980s right up until present day. Have your questions ready for this incredibly creative force in the homebrew community and see you in the Twitch chat tonight! We might even have an exclusive reveal of something he's been working on! 🤫

Fri Jan 27, 2022 | LIVE @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT+1Day

WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

• Like 9

On 1/28/2023 at 6:51 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

DEVELOPER SPOTLIGHT AND LIVE INTERVIEW WITH
ANDREW DAVIE

We're honoured to have @Andrew Davie on TONIGHT'S ZeroPage Homebrew stream for his developer spotlight! We will have a LIVE discussion with Andrew Davie about his extensive career as a game developer from the 1980s right up until present day. Have your questions ready for this incredibly creative force in the homebrew community and see you in the Twitch chat tonight! We might even have an exclusive reveal of something he's been working on! 🤫

Well, that was fun. Here's a link to the long-play of Boulder Dash "2" I referenced on the show.  Please be aware of context here; this is a finished ARM-based version with all-new caves (and technology) but there's no agreement in place to release this - it's a what-if demo. Although it's possible in future that BBG and I may decide to discuss release, that's way in the future; let's say a couple of years hence. I would most likely not sell to anyone who hasn't already bought the original Boulder Dash, so please do that now :)   In other words, do not delay buying the just-released Boulder Dash in the hope of buying this what-if one instead; you'd need to buy the original first, anyway.  I don't want this to detract in any way from the magnificent bit of programming the native Boulder Dash actually is. Note that the new "interleaved chronocolour" technology shown in this video (the time/spatial/colour multiplexing for drawing the screen) did not display very well on the twitch stream; this video gives a much closer capture of what it looks like to your eyes running on a CRT or emulator... a bit of a "shimmer" effect, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Edit; make sure you're watching this video at 60fps otherwise you'll have the same impression/effect that I had watching the twitch stream... lower frame rate = more perception of flicker!  The technology really needs 60fps to work.  Also PS the first 10 seconds or so of the video are "out of sync" and so flicker is much more apparent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What a great show that was! Thank you Andrew, for taking your time to present that much of your history. I had forgotten that you have been on the [stella] list before me. So there even was info for a long time follower like me. 

And BD"2" is a blast! Sometimes it is even a bit too much, but that's probably just me. :) 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Just finished the last hour - great stuff Andrew!

TY!
I mentioned "Music for a Found Harmonium" on the show - and here's the actual clip I was thinking about...  I now have a functional music system that would let me actually implement this - only i can't read music. LOL.  I have code that, if I know the note names, it plays music.... here's the actual BD soundtrack you heard in the show (two channels)...

static const unsigned char trackSimple[] = {

f3 a3 c4 f4 g3 a3_SHARP c4 g4 c4_SHARP d4_SHARP f4 g4_SHARP d4_SHARP d5 e4 c5 f3 f4 c3
    g3 d3_SHARP g4 g3 d3_SHARP f3 f4 c3 g3 c4_SHARP f5 f4 c4_SHARP d3_SHARP d4_SHARP a2_SHARP
    f3 b3 d5_SHARP d4_SHARP b3 c3 e4 d3 f4 a3_SHARP a3_SHARP a4_SHARP a3_SHARP f4 f4 f4 f4 f4
    f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 d4_SHARP d4_SHARP
    d4_SHARP d4_SHARP f4 f5 f4 d5_SHARP f4 d5 f4 c5 d4_SHARP d5_SHARP d4_SHARP d5_SHARP
    d4_SHARP a4_SHARP d4_SHARP d5_SHARP f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 f4 d4_SHARP d4_SHARP
    d4_SHARP d4_SHARP a4 f4 c4 a3 g4 d4_SHARP a3_SHARP d3_SHARP a4 f4 c4 a3 g4 d4_SHARP
    a3_SHARP d3_SHARP
};

static const unsigned char trackSimple2[] = {

f2 c3 f3 g3_SHARP d2_SHARP d3 d3_SHARP a3_SHARP c2_SHARP c2_SHARP c3_SHARP c2_SHARP
    d3_SHARP a4_SHARP e3 g4_SHARP f2 f2 f2 f2 d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP f2 f2 f2 f2
    c3_SHARP c3_SHARP c3_SHARP c3_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP b2 b2 b2 b2 c2 c4
    c2 c4 a1_SHARP a1_SHARP f2 f2 f2 f2 f2 f2 f3 f3 f2 f2 d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP
    d3_SHARP d3_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP f2 a4 f2 a4_SHARP f3 a4 f2 a4_SHARP d2_SHARP a4
    d2_SHARP a4_SHARP d3_SHARP g4 d2_SHARP g4_SHARP f2 f2 f2 c5 f3 f3 f2 g4_SHARP d2_SHARP
    d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP d3_SHARP d3_SHARP d2_SHARP d2_SHARP f2 a4 f2 a4_SHARP f3 a4 f2
    a4_SHARP d2_SHARP a4 d2_SHARP a4_SHARP d3_SHARP g4 d2_SHARP g4_SHARP f4 c4 a3 f3 d4_SHARP
    a3_SHARP g3 d2_SHARP c5 a4 f4 c4 a3_SHARP g3 d3_SHARP d2_SHARP
};

So if someone wants to hear Music for a Found Harmonium on a '2600 I just need those note 'names' and "Bob's your Uncle". as we say here.
There's a score here... https://thesession.org/tunes/346 -- perhaps it's time I figured out what those hieroglyphics actually represent.
I'm linking into the middle of the video because there's stuff I don't like at the start :)

I just always thought this would be a brilliant, fairly short but not annoying tune to play in the background of a game.

• Like 1

TOMORROW ZeroPage Homebrew can finally unveil the consolized Atari Lynx II modded by @Igor from Atari Gamer / K-Retro and begin to play all the incredible Lynx homebrew that's been released! Hope you can join us!

Games:

2100087384_20230131-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.1081b4847c341adf1f69f5aa38d5eeef.jpg

• Like 5

Watched last night's show during work and I'm excited to see more Lynx stuff as somebody who's never used one.

As for the controller I've always hated the SMS pad for the reasons shown. My suggestion for a cheap alternative would be the Konix Speedking (AKA Epyx 500XJ) as the 2 button version with a metal autofire switch on top is designed for the SMS and it would keep the Epyx connection. Not sure how practical it would be for long streams given its unusual shape, though I've not had problems using mine for hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SmittyB said:

My suggestion for a cheap alternative would be the Konix Speedking (AKA Epyx 500XJ) as the 2 button version with a metal autofire switch on top is designed for the SMS and it would keep the Epyx connection. Not sure how practical it would be for long streams given its unusual shape, though I've not had problems using mine for hours.

That's a great suggestion for an alternative joystick. I have an Epyx 500XJ's and it has great action on the joystick but for any games that have extensive use of the firebutton the ergonomics for where its placed makes firing extremely tiring. If I can find one cheap enough it'll be a great interim solution to the issue. 🙂 

EDIT: Looks like the two button SMS version is pretty rare, zero hits on EBay in listed or completed. Lots of NES and one button 9pin Atari/C64 models,

- James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

That's a great suggestion for an alternative joystick. I have an Epyx 500XJ's and it has great action on the joystick but for any games that have extensive use of the firebutton the ergonomics for where its placed makes firing extremely tiring.

You do get tired playing shooters with this controller. I primarily use mine with Activision's H.E.R.O., I find that it gives me the best control over Roderick, especially during the lava screens.

• Like 3

1994264287_20230203-5thAHANominees.thumb.jpg.23d27f046fe31ab751fb07b988ce5de8.jpg

Fri Feb 3, 2023 | LIVE @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT+1Day
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

Tune in TONIGHT to ZeroPage Homebrew for the LIVE announcement of the nominees in every category for the upcoming 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards! The best of last year's releases from Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-Bit, Lynx and newly added Atari Jaguar! PLUS public voting opens for your favourite games in all the categories!

We will also be starting our playthrough of every single nominated game leading up to the Awards Presentation on Sat Feb 25th!

- James

UPDATE: Due to unforeseen circumstances the show will be moved to tomorrow (Friday) at 6PM PT/9PM ET. See below for updated day/time.

ZeroPage Homebrew is celebrating our 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY tonight with a special bonus stream and playing the EXCLUSIVE FULL WIP of RatTrap on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us with your party hat on!

Games:

• RatTrap (2023 Exclusive Full WIP | 7800) by 20th St Arcade / Darryl Guenther @darryl1970

• Like 7

Six viewers! :) 

And after playing IXION...

Two viewers!

BTW: The color timing issue with your console was there from the 1st show (see top of IXION play field). So that's perfect consistency. :D 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2