IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV2

Ben from Plaion

2 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

What you're asking for would be great, but it might cost 2 or 3 times as much. And I guess some special carts still wouldn't work, as any Atari games that use the DPC+ are apparently not compatible with FPGA...

Why do you think an FPGA implementation would not work with DPC+? A really good FPGA  implementation of the hardware that accessed the cartridge in real-time would be an amazing device with excellent compatibility. It's the holy grail really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

Why do you think an FPGA implementation would not work with DPC+? A really good FPGA  implementation of the hardware that accessed the cartridge in real-time would be an amazing device with excellent compatibility. It's the holy grail really.

I think that because no DPC+ games work on the Atari 2600 core my Analogue Pocket, and I checked a compatibility list for Atari games on FPGA and every DPC+ game is listed as non-working. (I'm not saying they could never work, just that they don't currently work.)

Edited by Glorkbot

Just now, Glorkbot said:

I think that because no DPC+ games work on my Analogue Pocket, and I checked a compatibility list for Atari games on FPGA and every DPC+ game is listed as non-working.

But that's because the Analogue Pocket doesn't allow you to plug in the cartridge, it only accepts ROM files. An FPGA recreation of the 2600 hardware that had the cartridge port of the 2600+ would be different beast.

• Like 4

Just now, JetSetIlly said:

But that's because the Analogue Pocket doesn't allow you to plug in the cartridge, it only accepts ROM files. An FPGA recreation of the 2600 hardware that had the cartridge port of the 2600+ would be different beast.

Well, then someone should make one. If Atari doesn't want to, someone else should.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

They seem to have fixed a lot of the PAL issues! That’s great I’m glad it’s working for you! For NTSC there seems to be the issue of processing speed for some games. I believe that’s what’s causing the lagging and disappearing sprites!

All but a few of my games are NTSC, just for the record, but Robot Tank NTSC doesn’t work with 1.0 firmware, so I picked up a PAL copy, which does.

Okay, I just updated to dumper v1.1.0.9 and the Rev 2 firmware.  It still shows up as v1.1 on the load screen for anyone curious.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:11 PM, Bwayne32 said:

Thanks for the help, I followed your advice and everything seemed to work.  It says it updated and when I plug a game in and turned it on it says ver. 1.1 stella 1.67 in the bottom right. I am just now having problems with jr. pacman.  It is not wanting to load every time now.  I will give it a good cleaning again and go from there.  Everything else I threw at it seemed to play great though.

Do you have the red label cart?  Mine's working okay.  (Also, what copyright date do you have on yours?  Mine's 1986.)

Edit: Lastly, am I correct in assuming you're using an NTSC cart?

@Ben from Plaion

Maze Craze works on my TV again with Rev 2.  I suspect I was right about the issue being due to the changes to PAL detection in Rev 1.  That's good to know though.  It means I'll make for a good control. :)

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed a typo and added a question.

3 hours ago, omf said:

and thats your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it is not the opinion of everyone else.

This is the 2600+ forum, not the “let’s replace the 2600+ with a MiST contraption that costs 4x as much as a 2600+.” Forum

if you have a MiSTer, you don’t need to connect it to a 2600+. It is a system all on its own that plugs right into your TV and plays retro games. At that point you’re just replacing the 2600+ with a MiSTer.

That’s like asking for a PS5 adapter for the cart port of the 2600+ so you can play PS5 games on it. It’s stupid and makes no sense and doesn’t belong in this subforum, and certainly not in this specific thread.

if you prefer the MiSTer, just use a MiSTer. But go talk about it somewhere else, and not in a thread about the latest firmware update for the 2600+.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

It wouldn’t be the 2600+ though. That’s not what this sub or this thread is for. 

I purchased another Atari 2600+! Just arrived today! Turned it on Keystone Kapers and H.E.R.O. are running great NO lag whatsoever! Pitfall and Fishing Derby are running great NO clicking or popping sounds! Kangaroo running great NO disappearing sprites! 
After applying the latest dumper and image files, all of the above still running great! No issues!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I purchased another Atari 2600+! Just arrived today! Turned it on Keystone Kapers and H.E.R.O. are running great NO lag whatsoever! Pitfall and Fishing Derby are running great NO clicking or popping sounds! Kangaroo running great NO disappearing sprites! 
After applying the latest dumper and image files, all of the above still running great! No issues!

I've not had any problems with those on any of the firmware either. Definitely some odd differences between hardware. 🤔

I want to thank everyone for bringing this to market and for all of the continued work to update it.

My NTSC Games still not working:

Time Pilot

Flash Gordon

My NTSC games that work after the latest update:

Bump n Jump

Zaxxon

Burger Time

Double Dragon 7800

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I've not had any problems with those on any of the firmware either. Definitely some odd differences between hardware. 🤔

That’s my guess! 7800 mode worked great! All the issues I had were for the 2600 mode! 7800 games demand more resources!

• Like 1

Just updated to version 1.1r2, and most of my 7800 Home Brew games now work. However, I did notice issues with 7800 paddle and trackball support. No paddles seem to work with Super Circus Atari Age or Crazy Brix. Also, there's no movement in Centipede TB with the Atari trackball in trackball or joystick mode.

Issues:

Rikki & Vikki (No Suprise will not load)

Super Circus Atari Age (No Paddle support)

Crazy Brix (No Paddle support) 

Centipede TB (No Trackball support / movement)

Tower Toppler (reset loop when trying to start play)

Work:

Donkey Kong PK

T:me Salvo

Crystal Quest

Rip Off

Pac Man Collection

Sirus

Serpentine

Baby Pac Man

Froggie

Beef Drop VE

Sentinel

B*nQ

Asteriods Deluxe

Space Invaders

Klax

JR Pac Man

Dungeon Stalker

Astro Blaster

Plutos

Moon Cresta

Edited by Jon Willig
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Willig said:

Just updated to version 1.1r2, and most of my 7800 Home Brew games now work. However, I did notice issues with 7800 paddle and trackball support. No paddles seem to work with or Crazy Brix. Also, there's no movement in Centipede TB with the Atari trackball in trackball or joystick mode.

Issues:

Rikki & Vikki (No Suprise will not load)

Super Circus Atari Age (No Paddle support)

Crazy Brix (No Paddle support) 

Centipede TB (No Trackball support / movement)

Tower Toppler (reset loop when trying to start play)

Work:

Donkey Kong PK

T:me Salvo

Crystal Quest

Rip Off

Pac Man Collection

Sirus

Serpentine

Baby Pac Man

Froggie

Beef Drop VE

Sentinel

B*nQ

Asteriods Deluxe

Space Invaders

Klax

JR Pac Man

Dungeon Stalker

Astro Blaster

Plutos

Moon Cresta

Make sure both difficulty switches are set on (b) for Tower Toppler.  Works great for me with update.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

@Ben from Plaion Here is proof of what some of us had suspected.  There are differences in the hardware of the 2600+.

Mr. Chickens has two 2600+ units.  One has performance issues.  The other performs just fine.

It might be minor and it might be slight differences in tolerances... but it is for sure enough to be noticeable in plenty of situations.

• Sad 2