IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2022

ZeroPage Homebrew

Atari Jaguar Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2022

Below is a list of all the Atari Jaguar homebrew games that have either been physically released, completed or have released an updated WIP in 2022. Please let me know if there are any missing or inaccurate entries. Note: Games are only added to this list if there is a playable binary or video of the game.

Physical Release

Completed

WIP

Other Platforms:

More Info:

• Demo: Not the full game. Limited either by levels, time, lives or in some other way
  • Completed: The date the game was declared 'Completed', 'Done', 'Finished' or 'Ver 1.0'
  • Dates listed are in relation to the Pacific Time Zone

Atari Jaguar Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2021

(Note: Games in the below section are for possible inclusion in the upcoming 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards due to the cutoff for 2021/2022 not being announced for the new Jaguar category)

Physical Release

Completed

WIP

• TBD
  • Like 5

Added To Physical Release:

Added to WIP:

1 minute ago, Sporadic said:

Should Another World really be counted? Technically it was released in 2012. This 3rd run is a reprint, not the original release window.

It won't be counted for the Atari Homebrew Awards since it's a re-release but I like to put all releases and updates in the list just to keep track. I always make sure to put a note in the listing that states it's a re-release.

- James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Gravitic Mines was 01/01/2022 in the developers timezones

Thanks for the info @CyranoJ. The range of dates/times for both the lists I maintain and the Atari Homebrew Awards range from Jan 1 00:00:00 to Dec 31 23:59:59 in the Pacific Time Zone of the given year. I believe all the newest releases from AtariAge, including Jaguar, were listed for presale in the AA store on Dec 31, 2021 PT as to make the cutoff for the 4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards. If I'm incorrect, please let me know as I wasn't following the Jaguar releases as closely as the other consoles.

I've added the Pacific Time Zone information into the notes now so everyone is aware.

- James

16 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I believe all the newest releases from AtariAge, including Jaguar, were listed for presale in the AA store on Dec 31, 2021 PT as to make the cutoff for the 4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards.

So in order for all those 2600 games to make the cutoff, the Jaguar game gets dropped because it was annoucned at the same time.....

Well, thank god for those few hours for the 2600 games then, its a good job they had a category to rush out for ;)

Given that 2022 will (hopefully) be the first year for the awards, I would be very sad if Gravitic Mines, Asteroite, and the DrTypo Collection were all excluded because they were up for preorder. Nobody but the developers and testers have played them, so how could anybody have opinions about them?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

So in order for all those 2600 games to make the cutoff, the Jaguar game gets dropped because it was annoucned at the same time..... 

I can understand that you're upset that the rules don't work in favour for your game as we incorporate Jaguar into the Atari Homebrew Awards. The logistical nightmare of knowing the time zone of the hundreds of entries each year is not something that is feasible or makes sense. It also doesn't make sense to implement individual exceptions to the rules that are already in place. If your proposal was implemented, your rule change could possibly disqualify dozens of games from the currently underway 4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards.

I hope you understand what you're asking me to do just for your game.

I'm sure there will be further growing pains as we go along and other issues will arise but I'll try to keep everyone informed as best possible of how the Atari Homebrew Awards works. If you're interested in learning more about it, please check out our current list rules as part of the voting guidelines on this page.

I've thought of a solution that could be implemented for this year. We could incorporate some of the games released at the tail end of 2021 because it's a new category.

But where would the cut off be?

- James

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Given that 2022 will (hopefully) be the first year for the awards, I would be very sad if Gravitic Mines, Asteroite, and the DrTypo Collection were all excluded because they were up for preorder. Nobody but the developers and testers have played them, so how could anybody have opinions about them?

Agreed - I don't understand how you expect anyone to have an opinion on a game "released during 2021" but "not available to actually play in 2021" in the few weeks since December 31st and the voting, especially given the shipping delays around the globe.

But, as you say, its your rules, and there has to be a cutoff.

2 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I think in the Atari 2600 world a lot of games are primarily distributed as binaries and the physical release is something of a secondary concern. That isn't true so much in the Lynx or Jaguar world.

I agree, Lynx and Jaguar have very different methods of distribution and we may have to implement a different rule set for them. If you both could read through the current rules and let me know what some of the conflicts might be for Jaguar, we should be able to come up with something that works!

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've thought of a solution that could be implemented for this year. We could incorporate some of the games released at the tail end of 2021 because it's a new category.

But where would the cut off be?

- James

I would say December 1st, 2021.

Anything before that is very clearly 2021.  For example, I would not even begin to suggest Last Strike be included.

[edit]

Regarding my earlier comment - it makes sense for the 2600 games to be launched on the 31st to make them elidgible.  However, at the time there was no such reason for a Jaguar release, and there wasn't even a category or any plans for one (that we knew about).  If we had known there would be a Jaguar category, and that the cut-off was midnight Dec 31, we would have held it back 24 hours (was it even 24, maybe even as little as 12 or 8), as it really wouldn't make any difference in the long run for the actual shipping date, or time when end-players could enjoy the game.  

I guess that is what ticked me off, a clear launch date for the 2600 games to be included, that then screws the jaguar releases.

• Like 2

Perhaps consider shipping date for inclusion in the Homebrew Awards? Gravitic was announced at the start of the year but nobody has played it yet because it hasn't shipped. Would be a shame to have it excluded from the awards because it looks outstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, K3V said:

Perhaps consider shipping date for inclusion in the Homebrew Awards? Gravitic was announced at the start of the year but nobody has played it yet because it hasn't shipped. Would be a shame to have it excluded from the awards because it looks outstanding.

At least someone lent the organizer a Jaguar. ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, K3V said:

Good suggestion, basing things on a shipping date would definitely get closer to helping determine eligibility. It might need be something like shipping date + x days so that the game can arrive and also give enough time to evaluate it.

Based on past experience, how long after shipping the package would you estimate that 95% of the packages would reach everyone? Would a month be sufficient?

If the event is to include games released from Jan 1-Dec 31st and we make the cut off shipping date for eligibility to be before Dec 1st to allow time for the games to arrive, that should be enough so 95% of people would get the games before the end of the year and still have a bit more time to evaluate the game during the 2-3 week voting period in January.

- James

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew there is a new release trailer for Asteroite:

Thanks for the heads up!

Updated Physical Release:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, joeyaage said:

As it is the first year for Jaguar in the homebred awards, what about a category for anything released before 2022. Like the best so far! That could include gravitic mines, last strike, etc..

Definitely, good suggestion! ?  We're looking into making some accommodations for previously released games without introducing too much competition for this year's games.

- James

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Definitely, good suggestion! ?  We're looking into making some accommodations for previously released games without introducing too much competition for this year's games.

- James

Don't forget that there was a whole range of homebrew released way before 2022, from a lot of people not active in the scene anymore. Games by Orion Soft: Escape 2042, Alice's Mom's Rescue and Elansar. Mad Bodies by Force Design, and even Battlesphere Gold by 4Play published by ScatoLOGIC. This might be a great opportunity to motivate some of these people to get back in the scene, e.g. to start developing new games again?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phoboz said:

Don't forget that there was a whole range of homebrew released way before 2022, from a lot of people not active in the scene anymore. Games by Orion Soft: Escape 2042, Alice's Mom's Rescue and Elansar. Mad Bodies by Force Design, and even Battlesphere Gold by 4Play published by ScatoLOGIC. This might be a great opportunity to motivate some of these people to get back in the scene, e.g. to start developing new games again?

Please don't motivate the battlesphere guys, the 'scene' is far better off without them.

• Haha 1