IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit/5200 Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2024

Atari 8-Bit/5200 Homebrew Games Released/Completed/WIP in 2024

Below is a list of all the Atari 8-Bit/5200 homebrew games that have either been physically released, completed or have released an updated WIP in 2024. Please let me know if there are any missing or inaccurate entries. Note: Games are only added to this list if there is a playable binary or video of the game.

Physical Release

Completed

WIP

Other Platforms:

More Info:

• Demo: Not the full game. Limited either by levels, time, lives or in some other way
  • Video Only: No public binary has ever been posted of the game.
  • WIP: Work in Progress, games that have not been declared 'Completed', 'Done' or 'Finished'
  • Declared Completed The date the game was declared 'Completed', 'Done' or 'Finished' and moved to Completed category
  • Dates listed are in relation to the Pacific Time Zone
  • Games that are described as 'Proof of Concept', 'Not A Game', 'Experiment' etc.. will not be listed here
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Added to WIP:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not MyJewels, but MyJewels' or maybe MyJewels 2 and is really a new Game.

Sv2023we MyJewels is just a game for 16kB machines and so it is very limited. This one needs 48kB and has a lot more options. 

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Added to Completed:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pps said:

This is not MyJewels, but MyJewels' or maybe MyJewels 2 and is really a new Game.

Sv2023we MyJewels is just a game for 16kB machines and so it is very limited. This one needs 48kB and has a lot more options. 

Ah, thank you for the clarification. You can understand my confusion based on the screen shots below of the two games side by side. I will update the listing to clarify the difference between the two.

- James

image.thumb.png.546a8493bc18d94d878c9a94240ee57e.png

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Ah, thank you for the clarification. You can understand my confusion based on the screen shots below of the two games side by side. I will update the listing to clarify the difference between the two.

- James

image.thumb.png.546a8493bc18d94d878c9a94240ee57e.png

Don't just thrust some screen shots... and when, then just have a deeper look 😁

Added to WIP:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Last Party Boxing (A8) by Agenda / Jakub Szeląg - Aceman / Marek Ogłodek - Koala / Piotr Radecki - Piesiu | Video Only (20240106) No Public Binary | NOTE: Part of Last Party 2024 | Listing Updated: Jan 6, 2024

Graphics for that boxing game look amazing. I thought it was Atari ST or something at first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Graphics for that boxing game look amazing. I thought it was Atari ST or something at first.

100% agree. The graphics in that game are HUGE and so well drawn. Very looking forward to playing it! Hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics!

- James

29 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

The graphics in that game are HUGE and so well drawn.

Big sprites and nice use of DLI's to get plenty of color.

29 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics!

Gameplay looks fairly simplistic. So, I don't expect replay value to be great; but it should still be plenty of fun. It looks like they're just using all straight punches. So, possibly they could add graphics for hooks, uppercuts, etc. later. The only thing is, they will be limited in body movement to keep the boxers in line with each other, in order to maintain the DLI color changes that happen between the body and the shorts; it should be doable, though.

[Edit]

Other than that, having graphics for some different boxers would be another way to make things more interesting.

• Like 1

I was thinking this in terms of replay value. Very nice to look at but as mentioned given the dli technique to achieve colours, it limits the movement and likely the two boxers will remain identical twins. Can't see much variation is possible in terms of moves. The ability to block and throw at least one or two other punches would add to replay value. 

Nice to see something different being tried so kudos to the coders. :)

5 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

likely the two boxers will remain identical twins

There's no reason the boxers can't be different graphics (aside from colors); they're bitmaps. I'm sure they're the same because it's hard enough to draw large, detailed graphics like these for a single boxer. They look great, so no criticism about that; just thinking of ways it could be extended in the future (if the authors would even be interested in it).

The ability to block

The ability to block is already there.

Can't see much variation is possible in terms of moves.

Stomach shots would be another possibility.

They could also make the boxers' faces look more beat up as they get hit more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philsan said:

You can download Last Party games: https://last-party.pl/2024/

Thank you so much @Philsan!

Moved to Completed:

Updated WIP:

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm sure they're the same because it's hard enough to draw large, detailed graphics like these for a single boxer.

They also might have just converted the graphics from some other system, which would have been a lot easier. I'm not familiar with many boxing games; so, I wouldn't be able to recognize which game they might have been converted from.

Added to Completed:

• Thanks 2

If you're looking for some older games to play on the show, here are a few that I like (almost all puzzlers).

Dyna Blaster (2004 ABBUC Winner)

Nibbly (2006)

Sudoku Sweep (2006)

ECKN (2007 ABBUC 5th)

Mind Blast (2007)

Swapz (2008)

Loops DX (2009)

Diamondz (2010)

h3x0r Deluxe (2010 ABBUC 3rd)

[Edit]

Diamondz had a couple of sequels too, if you're into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Added to Completed:

Updated WIP:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Cyborg Warriors (A8 Port) by Vega1 /  Krzysztof Ziembik @Kaz atarionline.pl (Graphics) / Michał Szpilowski @miker (Music & Sound Effects) | WIP Binary (20240117) | Listing Updated: Jan 17, 2024

I think this one is done. The front-page news article on AtariOnline.pl included this statement in it's intro before discussing details about the game:

"Krzysiek has just finished another game, about which he tells below:".